Contact us today for your Free Quote
Bywaters’ Head of Business, Andrew White, is aiming to complete the Reebok Spartan Race on 30th September 2017 to raise money for the Bromley-by-Bow Centre.
Bywaters Takes Part in the Spartan Race
The Spartan races are described as challenging, brutal, and rewarding – with participants running through mud and water, climbing hills and mountains, crawling under barbed wire, and jumping over fire. By the time Andrew finishes on 30th September he will have run more than 38km, overcoming 75 obstacles over three races.
Running to Help the Local Community
Andrew is taking part in this gruelling race in order to raise money for London’s Bromley-by-Bow Centre, a community centre local to Bywaters’ facility in Bow – located in one of the UK’s most economically-deprived boroughs.
Bywaters has been operating out of Leyton in East London for over 60 years and the firm is firmly rooted in the local community. We are a family-owned firm with a commitment to supporting the community around where we work.
We have recently pledged to increase its support for local initiatives, and we take immense pride in our role as a local business and employer. Bywaters always encourages our staff to engage in a wide range of activities to give something back to those who need it most.
About the Bromley-by-Bow Centre
The Bromley-by-Bow Centre (or BBBC) is an innovative community organisation in East London that works with over 2,000 people each month: supporting families, young people and adults to learn new skills, improve their health and wellbeing, and develop the confidence to achieve their goals and transform their lives.
In a deprived borough, the Bromley-by-Bow Centre supports people across through a range of projects and services in four key ways:
- Supporting people to overcome chronic illness and unhealthy lifestyles
- Empowering people to learn new skills
- Guiding people to become less grant-dependent and to find work
- Providing the tools to create an enterprising community
The Centre’s core ethos is grounded in a belief in people and in their capacity to achieve amazing things, and they do fantastic charity work for this community every day.
Bywaters’ Connection to the Bromley-by-Bow Centre
Bywaters supports the Bromley-By-Bow Centre through various initiatives, as well as by donating both time and money to the charity. Over the years, Bywaters staff have volunteered for:
- CV Workshops: Bywaters staff have helped the Bromley-by-Bow Centre in their CV workshops in order to help those struggling to get back into work.
- Computer Literacy Coaching: We have helped the Centre with computer literacy coaching in order to give people essential skills to thrive in the modern world.
- Supporting Events: Many of our staff have endorsed the BBBC’s numerous social inclusion events, such as volunteering during art classes for the over 50s and supporting the community sports day.
- Fundraising Activities: Employees of ours have taken part in a 10k run in Regents Park to raise money for the Centre and make sure they’re financially able to provide much needed support.
- Donating Furniture: We regularly salvage reusable items when sorting waste at our Materials Recovery Facility (MRF), and we have donated office furniture to the Centre to improve their office facilities and communal areas.
Members of the Bywaters team will be present at the Reebok Spartan Race on 30th September to cheer Andrew on, and will hand out reusable water bottles and bags to minimise waste from the event.
Fighting to Improve Tower Hamlets
Bywaters makes a huge commitment to our local community. Tower Hamlets is one of the poorest boroughs in London, with a staggering child poverty rate of 42% – the highest in the country and more than twice the national average.
We support the Bromley-By-Bow Centre because of the fantastic support it offers to those in need with regards to their health, wellbeing, inclusion, and happiness.
Our Ongoing Commitment
John Glover, Bywaters’ Managing Director, has always been a strong believer in the importance of contributing to the local community. He commented:
“We really cherish our partnership with the Bromley-By-Bow Centre as they offer invaluable support to the local community. We think it’s fantastic that our staff can contribute in a small but significant way. We look forward to maintaining this meaningful partnership well into the future.”
If you would like to support the Bromley-by-Bow Centre or make a donation to their fantastic work, then you can find out more here.